Friday, June 02, 2006

The Cocoa Saga *Part III* Journey to Sri Lanka

“Dr. Jeevan, can I have the flight attendant get you anything?”

“No, thank you, I am fine.” I was leaning back reviewing my reports in first class. Samuel seemed so desperate to make sure I was alright after I agreed on joining him for the expedition to Sri Lanka. He had already offered me his pillow and blanket, and tried to order me a second cup of coffee before I even finished the first one.

“Okay.” Samuel looked forward to the cabin as he ruffled his already disheveled chesnut hair. I took the opportunity to ask him a few unanswered questions on my mind.

“Dr. Smith mentioned he preferred me because I wasn’t close to members of the NBO. Why doesn’t Dr. Smith want the NBO to be involved in this new find?” Samuel shifted in his seat uncomfortably and turned to her.

“I’m not exactly sure why, but I recall him mentioning a few members who he thought could not be trusted,” Samuel whispered. He looked around worried as though someone on the plane was listening into the conversation. “He said Dr. Leat would probably alert the NBO's government contacts and it would be on the mainstream media overnight. He also name Dr. Gold, Dr. Clamps, and Dr. Spring as people who would follow suit as Dr. Leat would.”

“Why would he think that?” I asked curiously.

“I’m not really sure,” Samuel shrugged. With that, the conversation ended and soon we were both fast asleep on our red-eye flight to Sri Lanka.

* * * * * *

“Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. Welcome to Sri Lanka, exporter of tastiest cinnamon and tea in the world!” I awoke with a jump. Samuel was already rubbing his eyes and sitting up.

After the plane finally came to a stop, I followed Samuel through with our baggage out of the plane. The moment my foot stepped offboard, I felt a rush of warm tropical heat surround me. Beads of perspiration accumulated instantly on my forehead as the humidity took over. As I inhaled, I smelled a combination of incese and leaves of a coconut tree. With an approximate 70% majority of Sri Lankans Buddhist, I suspected a temple not far away from the airport.

“Follow me,” Samuel said as he walked toward the exit. “We have a car waiting.”

I followed him outside into the beating sun and struggled to keep up with him as he zigzagged through a large crowd of people waiting. Finally he stopped at a tiny white Toyota, as a black haired middle aged man stepped out of the car. They shook hands and turned to me.

“This will be our driver during our stay,” Samuel said as he waved his arm in the man’s direction. “This is Krishna, but he like to be called Kris.”

“A pleasure, Kris, I’m Sonia Jeevan,” I said while shaking his hand.

“The pleasure is mine,” he said in a Sri Lankan accent. “Please, sit down as I take you to our destination.” His English was intact perfectly. I should not have been surprised with it since Sri Lankan’s have an extremely high literacy rate. I took a seat while he put our bags in the back and we started on our way.

My head starting nodding off as I struggled to stay awake. The flight to Sri Lanka had been quite exhausting since I had to change plans in Europe once and then again in the Middle East before finally arriving. I had forgotten what a long trip it would be from New York.

Just as I started falling asleep I heard a loud horn blasting outside. I looked ahead from the backseat and saw a giant truck heading directly towards our car. Kris was driving on the wrong side of the road!

“MOVE THE CAR!” I screamed as the truck blasted its horn again. We only had moments to move, but Kris showed no sign of moving.

“PLEASE!” I cried as I held on to the sides of the car bracingly myself. Why was he doing this!? I shut my eyes as I knew it was going to be my last moment of my life.

To be continued…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free Counter by Pliner.Net
singles, shopping, search, classifieds